12/22/2008

Winter Dance Showcase

We have really enjoyed our new dance studio this year. The girls have learned so much in the last couple of months it is amazing. Something that we were not used to is that in addition to the end-of-year recital, their dance studio also does a winter performance. They alternate every other year between the Nutcracker and a Winter Showcase. This year they had the Winter Showcase. Each class was able to invite family and friends to the dance studio and for about a half hour we got to witness what they have been learning this fall. They did ballet positions and across the floors and then they performed a little dance. I love the philosophy that the studio director has about teaching the 3,4,5 year olds the correct ballet terminology. She says that young children's minds are like sponges (agreed) and the best time to start teaching them correct technique is at that young age. If they learn the correct way now, there will not be time wasted in the future in re-teaching or correcting incorrect technique. Brilliant! Halle at this point already knows all of the ballet positions, and a good handful of other ballet terminology. Granted she still is only 4 so a lot of what she does isn't very "graceful" but I can tell that she knows what she's suppose to do. I do not know of many studios that have this philosophy so I am excited for my girls to have this opportunity and continue to learn and grow as little dancers for as long as they are excited about it.......or until they are of softball age, as Patrick says. We'll see.

HALLE
1st position
Halle's class












"All I Want for Christmas"

JALEN

Jalen's class
Little Ballerina














"Feliz Navidad"

We had a fun night. The girls did an awesome job. Thank you to Grandma Cindy and Andrea for coming to support us!

1 comment:

Becca said...

It's so fun to see all the cute pictures from this last month. And I LOVE the family pictures- the gray and black on the girls turned out so cute. Can't wait to party with you guys on Tuesday!